Languages at Central Primary School
We are a school that represents the whole World; one that is culturally and linguistically diverse and where pupils from all across the globe are educated. As a result we are passionate about Languages and International Understanding. We believe that pupils can and should learn to communicate in multiple languages so that they emerge as global citizens at the end of their education with the economic and personal benefits that speaking more than one language brings.
Aims and objectives
The objectives of teaching languages in our school relate the National Curriculum (2013) and enable children to:
- Develop children’s confidence, interest and enthusiasm towards learning languages.
- Develop their linguistics skills by learning Spanish so they are well prepared to continue their language education into their secondary and further education. This will involve the learning and use of Spanish phonics, Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing.
- Deepen their understanding of the world through our International curriculum so that pupils understand the diversity of languages available to be learnt beyond those offered in traditional curriculum structures.
- Pupils will grow and develop as global citizens with an increasing awareness of the make-up of the globe’s geography, history, politics, environments, cultures and similarities.
Work completed during Spanish lessons is recorded in the pupil’s notebooks. These pieces of work show the knowledge and skills learnt during each unit. These notebooks progress through the school with the children allowing the pupils to access, use and build on their prior learning.
The MFL Curriculum includes a lot of cross-curricular links with foundation subjects.
Please find more information about the units the pupils learn from the Curriculum Overviews on the class pages.
|Class pages with links to the Curriculum Overviews|
|Nursery||Reception||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4||Year 5||Year 6||SLCN base Forest|
Please take a look at our Curriculum policy to see more details.
- Curriculum Policy (439KB)
Further information in the National Curriculum.