Art at Central Primary
The vision for Art and design at Central is to stimulate creativity and imagination. Our curriculum provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences, and a special way of understanding and responding to the world. It enables children to communicate what they see, feel and think, through the use of colour, texture, form, pattern as well as, different materials and processes. Children become involved in shaping their environments through art and design activities. They learn to make informed judgements, and aesthetic and practical decisions. They explore ideas and meanings through the work of artists and designers. Through learning about the roles and functions of art, they can explore the impact it has had on contemporary life and on different periods and cultures. The appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts enriches all our lives.
The objectives of art and design are to enable children to:
- Record from first-hand experience and from imagination, and select their own ideas to use in their work;
- Develop creativity and imagination through a range of complex activities and the learning of new skills;
- Improve their ability to control materials, tools and techniques;
- Increase their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times and cultures;
- Develop increasing confidence in the use of visual and tactile elements and materials;
- Foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts, and a knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designers.
Art work is recorded in the pupil’s Art notebooks in a variety of ways to include: note taking when exploring artists, exploration of different materials and techniques, designing, final outcomes and whole class feedback through art gallery post-it notes. These notebooks progress through the school with the children allowing each teacher to see prior knowledge and understanding whilst also providing the pupils with a resource to refer to in their later learning.
Please find more information about the units the pupils learn from the Curriculum Overviews on the class pages.
|Class pages with links to the Curriculum Overviews|
|Nursery||Reception||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4||Year 5||Year 6||SLCN base Forest|
Please take a look at our Curriculum policy to see more details.
- Curriculum Policy (439KB)
Further information in the National Curriculum.